Anyone of you who comes to see me in person, will know I love my natural pure goodness freshly homemade juices, as most of you comment or ask questions re my juice which always accompanies me at my desk :-0 Celery is one of the ingredients I would use a lot of as it has so many health benefits and it is so easy to incorporate into your juice without it overpowering the taste of the juice, of course you can add celery to salads or soups and other dishes too, but raw especially in this case is always best as you are enriching your body with live enzymes too.
Here are some of the benefits of adding fresh celery to your diet:
• It is highly nutritious and very hydrating for the body.
• It is incredibly alkalising and therefore will help equalise the body’s pH which is crucial for optimum health.
• It is a rich source of minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, vitamin C, B1, B2, B6 and other essential amino acids.
• It is Calming for the nervous system: the characteristic smell of celery is due to its essential oils and it is these oils which are calming… therefore it can help promote sleep too. It is high in magnesium which is also crucial for helping the body to relax and feel more at ease! the more relaxed you are in every way the healthier your body will be. You cannot digest food when you are in a tight tense state.
• It Aids in digestion: It can aid in bowel movements and therefore can act as a natural laxative. Synthetic laxatives force bowel movements and do not cleanse the bowel wall so the problem just keep recurring. Natural laxatives and essential amounts of fibre gently cleanse the bowel wall and stimulates peristalsis…
• It can lower cholesterol:according to researchers in the university of Chicago celery can reduce cholesterol with just 2 stalks a day. Celery stimulates the production of bile which is the main way cholesterol is removed from the body. Fibres is crucial for this role too. (more on cholesterol in another article.)
• Celery is a natural diuretic, the sodium and potassium are super at regulating the fluid levels of the body. This juice is particularly great after exercise or if you have sweated a lot. The sodium in celery is not to be confused with the same sodium in table salt. The sodium in celery is soluble and is essential for the body. Every cell in your body is bathed in a perfect solution of salt, if this is not at the correct level or in balance, dehydration occurs and fluid retention can arise. so if you feel sluggish or puffy ensure you are not dehydrated or the other extreme drink too much water, you need a natural balance of the healthy salts and electrolytes in your body.
Here is one of my favourite celery juices
x2 apples, x5 sticks celery, x1 small to medium lemon peeled, x1 cucumber.
Another great juice is
Carrots, as needed to provide approx 500ml of juice
1/2 lemon peeled, 2 sticks celery, 1/2 cucumber.
Simply pass all of the ingredients through the juicer and enjoy.
These are both light juices, ideal to start off your day with, savour every mouthful.Wishing you a week of excitement and abundant health. See you next week for part 5.