Immunity is something we hear a lot about but unfortunately do little about until we have that cold or flu which we cannot shake off. If you get a cold and it lasts for 2-3 days without you having to take to the bed, then it can be a sign you have a strong robust immune system, the longer it takes for your infection or flu to clear up fully the lower your immunity can be.
Unfortunately several repeated doses of anti-biotics or steroids do little to strengthen our immunity long term. Without doubt there are times when they are needed. When you take any kind of antibiotic, no matter for how long always replenish with a good probiotic for at least one month afterwards to replace the good disease fighting bugs in your system. This week I have just the recipe for you to warm up those bones and keep you fighting fit with loads of energy.
Kale a fabulous winter food! It is anti-inflammatory and a powerful anti-oxidant and is really a super food as it is so high in vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, calcium, manganese and potassium. It is powerful in bone building which is so important especially in the winter months when people tend to be less active. Kale can also be washed and juiced in its raw state when it is even healthier for you, however if you fancy something warmer then look no further. Lentils are very nourishing and quite high in iron, which is powerful in beating fatigue this time of the year. Garlic and onions have several health benefits and are great fans to on your side for boosting immune function. Tomatoes are known for their high lycopene content which boost cell health and of course boosts stronger immunity. Of course it’s also very important to cut out all sugar, fizzy drinks, sweeteners, excess alcohol, cigarettes, white refined starchy foods and processed foods as they deplete nutrients form your body not to mention all of the other harm they do to your adrenals, your liver, your body weight, your brain/memory and lots more. Increase your fruit and veggies, this will make your system much more alkaline and healthy…sometimes it can just be that simple. Enjoy my health bursting soup.
- 1 Tbsp rapeseed or coconut oil
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, grated or crushed
- 8 cups kale, trimmed, cleaned, and rough chopped
- 2 cans (400g size) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes or 4-6 beef tomatoes washed and cut into chunks.
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Himalayan salt and cayenne pepper to taste
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, put oil, celery, and onion, and cook, stirring often, until celery and onion starts to soften.
Add the garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Add in the kale and stir until it starts to wilt.
Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
Bring stew just to a boil, then quickly reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes. Liquidize/mash as optional
Serve immediately and enjoy, some people like to add a little natural yoghurt and a squeeze of lime just before serving, it’s entirely up to you.
If you have a juicer and want to add a blast to your health and immunity add one of these to your diet daily, first thing in the morning is ideal
- ½ golden delicious apple, 2” chunk fresh root ginger juiced
- 1 golden delicious apple, x1 bulb garlic juiced
- A large handful of fresh wheatgrass or if you have your own growing trays about 1/3 of the tray cut or you can buy it in shots frozen.
- ½ beetroot washed, ¼ lemon peeled…juiced
- ½ apple with 2 teaspoons/scoops Powdered supergreens ( wheatgrass, barleygrass, spirulina, chlorella) this is great for overall health, or to take before a workout, at the time of a cold/flu or fighting illness fresh ingredients are always best.
- X1 apple juiced, ½ lemon juiced (unpeeled if you can bear it zesty), 2” chunk fresh root ginger juiced (unpeeled) added to a cup with ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder,5-6 whole cloves, 1-2 teaspoons manuka honey , all mixed together with hot water. (ensure the water is not boiling hot or it will kill off the vitamin C in the lemon) you can also add juiced garlic to the health mixture if you like!
Be healthy! Keep warm and always enjoy seasonal foods.